Call us on 033 3323 1199 Monday to Friday, 8am - 7pm

Frequently Asked Questions

Paying Yourself

Whenever you want to pay yourself either log into your client portal or call your personal accountant to see how much you have available to draw. Payments are normally split between dividends, director’s fees (salary), and out-of-pocket expenses. Your personal accountant will calculate all of these for you to ensure that you are being paid as tax efficiently as possible.

This is entirely up to you. The easiest way to pay yourself is to electronically transfer the funds from your business account into your personal account. We will keep all your dividend vouchers for you to ensure that you and your company are 100% compliant with HMRC.

A dividend payment is the distribution of the retained profits to the shareholders of the business once all liabilities have been met.

Yes, however speak to your personal accountant for further advice so we can discuss the possible implications of this.

Business Expenses

Yes. Business related travel to your temporary workplace is a tax deductible expense, however the 24 month rule must be adhered to at all times.

You are eligible to claim the cost per mile for eligible business travel in your own personal vehicle. Depending on the amount of miles travelled during your company’s financial year will determine the monetary value of your claim. Below is a table which summarises the main travel types using your personal vehicle and the monetary value of eligible claims.

Type of Vehicle

First 10,000 miles
10,000+ miles


45p per mile
25p per mile


24p per mile
24p per mile


20p per mile
20p per mile

It is important that you retain your fuel receipts in support of your mileage claims. If HMRC were to audit your business they may request that these be presented to evidence your claim.

Yes. Some meal expenses are allowable. Obtain a receipt and forward them to personal accountant who will verify your claims and ensure that your company complies with the rules as set by HMRC.

Yes. Further advice about claiming for a mobile phone can be obtained from your personal accountant.

Yes. Speak to your personal accountant who is best able to advise you based on your company’s circumstances.

Yes. Every employee can claim £55 per week to help with childcare costs as long as they are paying a registered child care provider.

No. There are however exceptions to the rule such as protective clothing or a necessary uniform.

Entertaining clients or customers is not tax deductible. Entertaining staff at, say Christmas, does have a £150 per head allowance which can be offset against Corporation Tax.

Yes. Proof is required of all business expenses and must be kept for up to 6 years.

At Exchequer Accountancy Services Ltd we do as much or as little as you would like us to. We would advise you to let your personal accountant process your invoices and expenses, however if you want to take care of this then it is entirely up to you.

Yes. This is a tax deductible expense for the company.  If you do not have a pension provider then please speak to us and we will refer you to one of our partners.

In the main it is better to be covered for everything just in case. We would recommend speaking to one of our new business consultants who will advise you according to your company’s circumstances.

Business Taxes

Corporation Tax is that which companies pay on all their profits after the deduction of allowable expenses and salaries.  The rate of corporation tax for companies whose turnover is less than £300k is currently 20% (2014-2015).  Corporation is due to be paid by 9 months and 1 day after the company’s year-end.

You must register for VAT if your turnover for the previous 12 months is more than £79,000 (2014-2015) or if you predict your turnover will go over £79,000 during a given financial period. This figure is known as the VAT registration threshold.

Some income is taxed at source, for instance salary through the PAYE scheme, other income such as dividends are received net of basic rate tax. Your personal tax return compiles your total income and allowances for a tax year and determines your final tax liability or even a tax repayment. A liability is payable in up to three instalments, 31 January before the tax year end (5 April), the 31 July after the year end and a final balance on the following 31 January.

Running the Company

Your company’s accounts need to be filed with Companies House 9 months after the company’s year end and with HMRC 12 months after the company’s year-end.

Every limited company has a legal requirement to submit an annual return which ensures that the information held at Companies House is up to date. The annual return needs to be filed within 28 days after the company’s made up date (this is the anniversary of incorporation or the date of the last annual return).

Yes. A Limited company is a separate legal entity and must have its own bank account.

IR35 is a HMRC tax legislation that was introduced to identify contractors who are receiving the tax benefits of working through a limited company when they are really a disguised employee of the client. See Exchequer Accountancy Services Ltd’s guide to IR35 for more information.

Considering switching accountants?

We can help make the switch smooth, quick and hassle free.

Get Started
freeagent premium partner logo icaew chartered accountant logo it contracting logo disability confident committed logo